Review: Murder by the Book

Murder by the BookMurder by the Book by Rex Stout
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The pandemic required a familiar character and his sidekick. The comfort of knowing I'll have a satisfying read. But I didn't want to read a Nero Wolfe mystery I'd already read. I still need to practice my rehabilitated reading skills and improve them. I borrowed the ebook from the library after checking to ensure I hadn't read it before. I found it cognitively challenging, partly because my fatigue remained high. But Archie is meticulous in reminding the reader of details. That's deceptive because you think you're going to get an inside track to the whodunnit. Uh, no.

This was my first Nero Wolfe since I relearned to read through Lindamood-Bell. I was struck by how much richer and more enjoyable Lindamood-Bell's technique of visualizing and verbalizing made reading about Archie and Nero's sleuthing. I picked up on humour that Archie slides in. Archie's character expanded into three dimensions in my mind, and I liked him more than ever.

The plot of this book was convoluted. Many characters and possible suspects distracted, and I didn't see the solve at all until it was upon us with Wolfe's characteristic unveiling. A thoroughly satisfying read.

View all my reviews

Comments