jPod -- One Weird Show

jPod is...um...strange. I've heard much about Douglas Coupland but haven't read his books. One Vancouver metblogger said people "people either embrace [Coupland's willful uniqueness] whole heartedly or hate with a passion of a million burning suns." I didn't embrace jPod wholeheartedly, neither did I hate it, but I did wonder why I was watching and why I kept coming back after flipping around during the commercials. Perhaps it was that the plot was so weird, within a believable reality, that it was compelling. Or I had to see how they would eventually get rid of the body. Or maybe it was the disbelief of seeing Vancouver buried in snow that kept me glued to see if it really was Vancouver or somewhere else. Still, I kept asking myself why I stayed with it.

I'm still out on this one. Unlike with The Border last night, CBC didn't show a preview of next week's show (why, oh why, do Canadian broadcasters not do this consistently unlike American ones -- it's a good way of getting people to tune in the next week). It doesn't have the colour palette of Pushing Daisies, another quirky show that's both comedic and dramatic, but it does have watchable characters and conflicts. So maybe I'll give it another go and see how I like it.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi all, Raugi Yu here. I play Kam Fong on jPod. Okay, so you have heard that jPod has not been picked up for a second season by CBC. I got the call a couple of days ago about it.

At first I was upset and disappointed and immediately thought of the great times and experiences I had shooting jPod and how much I would take from that…There was one problem though…I kept wondering why. Why not have a season 2? I started to hear what others were saying. I heard anger, resentment and frustration. So many of you my friends along with thousands, yes thousands, of strangers have expressed outrage over the cancellation of jPod.

I got angry too.

One may think that, “Sure, I’d be angry too if I lost a steady gig like that”. Well that’s not what I’m angry about. Gigs come and go. It is no huge hardship for me to go back to auditioning and booking and living my life as an actor. It is my passion. No. It angers me that the CBC our nation’s television station (yes I know among other things) chooses to cancel a show that is so cutting edge, fun, smart and CANADIAN. So many viewers have gleaned joy from watching jPod week after week. We look forward to it; I dare say we yearn for it.

I’d like to go down swinging. Many of you, who know me well, know that I am quite a loner and I don’t ask for help often even when I need it. I guess I‘m asking now.

I’m a pretty chilled out go with the flow kind of guy, but I recognize that there are times in my life when I’ve got to fight. In surveying the land I recognize that I need a lot of help.

If you feel you can, please call CBC at: 1-866-306-4636, choose option 1 for English programming and choose option 1 again for the “Attendant” then ask for “Audience Services”. Audience Services will answer and at that point tell them how you feel about jPod being cancelled and how you would like to see a season 2.

OR
E-mail them at http://www.cbc.ca/contact/

I alone can reach out to all of you and if all of you can reach even 2 people and we get that people ball rolling…we could possibly be jamming up some phone lines at CBC. Am I being naïve and hopeful? I hope so; it feels better than lying down and taking it.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of you for watching the show and for all the great things you’ve all been saying about it.

Longevity and persistence is the key. Phone or e-mail, if you can do it everyday.

I send my love to you all and just to be clear, that love stays whether you phone, e-mail, write or not.

Thank you all!
Raugi Yu
A.K.A Kam Fong
I hadn't heard! And I thought the show was maturing nicely and was looking good for the long haul.

What is it with networks that give up too quickly on unique and entertaining shows?
Anonymous said…
Ok, it is a great show, but after season 1 they filmed the whole book!

And it follows the book closely, which is where its strength lies.

What should season 2 be about ? If not written bij Coupland then it would probably not be as good anyway...
I wondered if they had done that.

Since Coupland is on the creative exec team of the show, I'm sure he'd come up with something for season 2, probably already did!
Anonymous said…
CBC is rebroadcasting the first season of jPod over the summer (Thursdays 8pm, starting June 19). Improved ratings can save the show. Please tune in and spread the word! For more information:
http://savejpod.ca/uncategorized/jpod-rebroadcast-on-cbc/