The English-Language Debate -- Are They Done Yet?

Last night with much of Canada I snored through the Leader's Debate aka The Alberta Question Hour. If you missed the rehearsed answers and engineered one-sided attempts to get a debate going, check out this webpage:

CTV.ca | Transcript of English-language debate, Dec. 16:

The media had to put the straitjacket on because the leaders don't have a clue how to debate -- I'm guessing they never joined the debate club back in school -- and their idea of an exchange of ideas is the free-for-all that reigns in Question Period. It's really too bad.

Controversy didn't come until the end when all the leaders wished us a Merry Christmas. What's that you say? Yup. One by one they all said it, only Martin and Duceppe adding on "Happy Holidays" just in case. I couldn't believe their courage, especially Layton's, and I felt encouraged by that. It must've also warmed the cockles of Italics Mine's heart -- he's been doing an impressive series on Christmas as part of the backlash of pretending the whole hoopla at this time of year is about anything but Christmas.

Speaking of which, Christmas frenzy has finally caught up to me, and I'm finding I'm just not that interested in the election. The leaders could disappear, the media turn to other matters, and I wouldn't care...until Boxing Day that is, when the anticlimactic feeling of that day will, I'm sure, drive me to fill the post-Christmas emptiness. So I'm going to take a break for a week or so while I join the Christmas rush of baking, writing, mailing, buying, wrapping, cooking, decorating, praying, eating. Merry Christmas everyone!

Tags: ,

Comments

Ericka said…
i feel the same way about the debates. and with christmas i just can't waste my time - i mean, there are christmas specials to be watched!
Absolutely! And I just saw the hysterical retelling of the Princess and the Pea, "Once Upon A Mattress" with Carol Burnett and Tracey Ullman. Much better than a uninspiring debate!!