Mary, Mother of Jesus, the First Christian

Richard Ostling in the Toronto Star today writes that

"A joint commission of Roman Catholic and Anglican scholars recently raised the prospect that 'issues concerning doctrine and devotion to Mary need no longer be seen as communion-dividing.' The Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission released a 57-page statement Mary: Grace and Hope in Christ..."

It was only recently that I found myself in a discussion of Mary. Previously, all I had ever heard about Mary, was a passing reference to her being the mother of Jesus, and all I had ever saw of her in pageants was a silent, smiling figure. Protestants had set her on the back burner, even behind Mary Magdalene, and seemed disinclined to bring her out in the open. But Mary has much to teach us. And I have much to learn.

Comments